Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Few Good Days

Shhhh. I don't want to say it too loud and possibly jinx it. But, the last few days have been pretty good. Today marks the 5 week point since the surgery. I really hope that this good trend continues.

After a terrible night's sleep on Tuesday night, Wednesday was a pretty good day the whole way around. When I got up in the morning I noticed that things were moving a little more freely, a little less stretching in the incision area. Kera and Gwen arrived promptly and took me to PT where things continued to go good. I still couldn't quite get that left leg all the way around on the bike, but it continues to get closer. I did 40 pounds on the leg press which is still too light so I'm sure it will get bumped up a bit next time. I walked 7 minutes on the treadmill at 2 mph with a 2 percent grade. Of course, Nate bent my knees to a point just short of screaming. He may still be paying me back for calling him my physical therapist! LOL! It's a good thing I like him. Gwen was fantastic during rehab; Nate remarked that most kids her age are running around the equipment and tossing balls and stuff. She's a good kid and Kera is a good Mom who actually parents her child. I had a great visit with Kera and Miss G. in the morning and enjoyed going out for lunch. I love you guys.

My friend Mel Gable came for afternoon babysitting duty. It was great to spend 3 hours catching up and to have her there for the afternoon exercises. Mel loves chocolate and when we worked together she would always bring me a chocolate covered pretzel when things were crappy. I was happy to see her come in the door with a little care package. You guessed it....choc covered pretzels. I waited until after bath time last night to have my treat. Mmmmm. Mel has been wonderful, sending emails and the funniest cards each week. Mel, you will never know how much I've appreciated you, especially these past 5 weeks.

I've said before that evening is my ouchy time. It usually starts around 6 and is in high gear by 8. I was doing pretty good at 6 and Brent and I went for my 1/2 mile neighborhood walk to the pond then got my shower. I was still doing amazingly good. About 8:45 I popped my tramadol and tylenol and spent a good hour and a half with aching knees. But, I nodded off with no trouble (yes, in the middle of my 3rd Tour viewing of the day) and slept pretty well until 2. I got up and popped some tylenol and slept great until 6. This was the best night of sleep I've had since the surgery.

My long-time friend Diane was with me today and will be here tomorrow too. Diane actually came down to Good Shepherd and spent a whole day with me. While I was doing leg lifts today we were talking about 5 weeks ago when I couldn't lift my legs at all let alone with ankle weights on them. For some reason, my exercises go so much better when someone is with me. I don't know if it's that I push it harder or what it is, but I really do appreciate everyone who has stuck by me during this twice a day stuff. Anyway, today Diane took me to get my hair cut where we saw my beautiful mother. Kim, my hairdresser made me as beautiful as she possibly could with what she had to work with. Then it was off to the podiatrist. Sigh. When it rains it pours!

I'm hopeful that tonight will be another good night. A good night's sleep goes a long way toward keeping my spirits up.

No comments: