Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 17, 2010

At Six Weeks

Thursday marked the 6 week mark since my surgery. If I view my progress since the beginning, it's pretty incredible; viewed from five weeks out, not so much. What I'm trying to say is that progress definitely comes in baby steps so small that sometimes you don't realize that you've improved. At six weeks, with only 2 more weeks of physical therapy 2 days a week:

1. I walk unaided on normal surfaces. Gone is the walker and the cane only comes out if I'm going to be walking in the grass or some other uneven surface.

2. I walk as good or better than I did before the surgery. Is there room for improvement? Thank heavens, yes, room for great improvement. The incisions are still stiff due to scarring and continue to need to be stretched each day. The knees don't quite bend quite enoughto look natural, but they're getting there. The good news is that I apparently stand more upright and that's a good thing.

3. Can go up and down the stairs. Ok, it's not pretty, it's uneven, and I need to hold onto the rails for dear life, I can do it.

3. After stretching the heck out of them, I have 110 degrees flexion on the right and 100 on the left. The goal is 125-130. Nate, my Physical Terrorist, tells me that he's hoping we can hit 120 in the next two weeks. Then it's up to me to continue exercising and stretching them to death to get them to 130. Of course, how I'll know I've hit that goal without Nate to measure them is a mystery.

4. I get through my exercises by myself twice a day. This is a strain. Ok, it hurts and who wants to continue to do something twice each day that just plain hurts. Wait. We know the answer to that and clearly that's not me! I'm definitely not singing "it hurts so good." LOL! Getting through the morning is much easier than the afternoon. I try to stay motivated but it's hard.

5. I no longer need a babysitter. Yes, this past week or two I finally pulled on my big girl panties and can actually spend the whole day by myself. Of course, this is because I'm now physically able to take care of myself. I can say that I'm still so lucky that my friends call and continue to stop in. Believe me it makes for long days if you're stuck by yourself constantly. I appreciate you all for popping in and taking my mind off it all!

6. Both knees finally made full revolutions on the bike. The goal for next week is to make 10 revolutions with my left leg this week.

7. I walk at least 1/2 mile, but usually at least a mile a day. This lets me work on walking and walking on the normal types of surfaces and ups and downs.

8. Finally stood up in the shower. The bench is still there for the time being, just in case. I can't wait for that to be done.

9. I finally stopped crying everytime I do the stair exercise at home. Maybe we won't have to buy kleenex this week!

So, as you can see, I have made pretty good progress in 6 weeks. Of course, there's always so much more to be done. I tend to do better if I have goals, so here are my goals for the next two weeks:

1. Work on increasing the amount of time I can just stand. Not walk, just stand still. I can walk for quite awhile, but just standing still is another story. I need to talk to Nate about how to accomplish this.

2. Hit 120 degrees flexion. That's the goal Nate set and that's the motivation that will keep me revv'd up to do my exercises as hard as I can for the next 2 weeks.

3. Sleep in my own bed. I still have the hospital bed downstairs which I sleep on. My nights still pretty much suck and I'm up taking tylenol at least once in the middle of the night. I play with the body pillow, switching sides, I play with raising and lowering the foot of the bed all trying to get comfortable. If it weren't for that feature, I would have moved upstairs to bed before now. I would kill for a good night's sleep.

4. Go up and down stairs normally. Going up I can actually alternate legs...okay, coming in from an angle, but I can do it. Going down is pretty much step by step. Need to practice more I guess.

5. I will drive. Yes. I. Will. I need to get some independence back! I'm hoping to take the car to a parking lot this weekend and see what I can do.

6. No toilet riser - Is this TMI?

7. Sleep thru the night. While I listed this as a goal, it's more like a wish, a prayer. Please, please let me get through the night withot pain. Please.

8. No more pills. At this point I take 2 tramadahl a day and generally tylenol twice a day (3 if my ouchy time becomes hurty time). I'm hoping that I won't need this stuff much longer. It's all just so bad for you. I'm praying that at 8 weeks I won't need it anymore.

I think I have my work cut out for me in the next two weeks but at least I have some direction. Please keep those calls and visits coming - they are truly what gets me through. Thanks all!

No comments: