I mentioned before that I was going to try a new physical therapist. I met with Conforti today and I have nothing but good to say so far. He has his PhD. and what a different appointment this was. This wasn't like my other PT sessions where I wamred it all up and the therapist bent the hell out of me. He spent a lot of time checking out the biomechanics of my legs and explaining how things work. I've known for a long time that my legs are funky and that things don't necessarily work the way they should. He just confirmed it and while technically the new knee and all the muscles and everyhing line up, the way they really work doesn't. When he twisted my thigh out and my calf in, amazingly everything bent without pain. I don't completely extend my left leg when I walk. Undoing 56 years of walking a certain way is going to take a lot of concentration.
We talked about how I walk and how I sit and I will be trying to make adjustments. I don't know what kind of bike he had me on today. It wasn't a spin bike and it wasn't a recumbent. Regardless, we worked on form and making my hamstrings stronger. I know that when I'm on the bike my right leg does the work and I compensate on the left because it doesn't want to bend correctly.
I had first appointment on Tuesday, October 12 and will go every day this week and Monday and Tuesday next week. We'll see how I'm doing and more importantly what insurance will pay for. Crazy world where the right thing is determined by an insurance company and not the condition of the patient or the recommendations of the professionals. This will only get worse under Obamacare and was one good reason for doing this now.
No comments:
Post a Comment