Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

GAWT IX

This GAWT trip was differrent from all others in two ways.  First, Brent and I decided not to arrive at our usual midnight on Friday, and so took the day off.  Second, so many of our Brooks family members were unable to join us this year so we needed to fill the bus with some friends.  This was the first time it was not totally a family trip.

We left very early in the morning and arrived at Taughannock State Park by 10:30 in the morning.  It was a beautifully crisp morning and an easy hike.  As you can see from these pictures, the views were spectacular too.  The Taughannock Falls is the highet waterr fall in the United States at 215 feet high, making it 33 feet higher than Niagra Falls.



 After our hike, we drove into my birthplace, Auburn, to have lunch with my cousin Memory and her husband Paul.  Paul had just had back surgery a week or two prior to this trip.  I think he's crazy, but he made it through the trip and grimace through the pain.  It was nice to be with just the two of them without the crowd so we could catch up on each other news.  I so wish we lived closer to each other.

We still had quite a bit of time before we needed to be at the hotel to surprise my folks and go to dinner with everyone.  Brent and I decided to hit some wineries on the east side of Cayuga Lake that we had never been to before.  We hit 3 and they were all pretty good.
 Saturday we all hopped on the bus and went to Sweedish Hill.  This is a good one because they open early and because they offer some sweeter wines for those who like such things.  Personally, I think they have some pretty good sparkeling which was my first purchase of the day.  Below you see tthe donkey Doobie.  We had heard a viscious rumor a year ago that Doobie bit the dust, but we were assured that Doobie was alive and well and here's the picture to prove it.
 Our friends Drew and Ginny Bitner and Dave and Bea Walters are reviewing the list of wines available for tasting and are making their selections.
 Here's the family making the first big decision of the day. When you've just had your coffee (or diet coke in my case), you're not really thinking of wine. Ha!  Who am I kidding!  We had no trouble at all.
 Is that Brent pontificating?  hehehehe.
 My cousin Memory with Paul and the ultimate trouble maker, Tony.
RJ, Tony, Judy, Memory, and Jaqui are listening intently.  I think Jacqi just wants more wine!
 Tony always takes our camera to snap some shots of Brent and me.  Good thing too or I'd never be in the pictures!
 Mom, Dad, and Rick displaying our family T's.
 Bonnie and Winnie enjoying the beautiful day and the spectacular landscaping.
 Mine brither posing at Leidenfrost.  This was a new one for us and they had some good stuff.  Worth a stop.
 Red Newt has long been one of our favorites on the east side of Seneca.  We like their wine and we love their restaurant.  Here's our server with a flight of reserve reislings which were yummy  As much as we like this place, their prices are totally out of hand.  Way pricey, and I don't think people bought much there because of it.
This trip was differrent for us, but every bit as enjoyable as ever.  I hope that more of our family will be available next year.

No comments: