This is a tricky spot. It's a blind hill and if you're going too fast you catch some air (...um..ok, I may have done this once or twice) and as you crest the hill, the road curves to the right. The red SUV never made the curve and crossed over into the other lane, hitting the black car head on, flipping over, and crashing into the telephone pole. A man staggered out of the black car which had spun 180 degrees and was now in the opposite lane. I will have nightmares of this guy, doubled over, staggering, looking right at me with his hand outstretched toward me, seeking help. There were no other cars in sight.
I immediately rooted through my purse, located my cell phone and dialed 911. When I was almost done with the dispatcher, a car stopped back behind the black car and ran first toward the SUV. By this time, two cars had stopped behind me and were running toward the man from the black car, now lying in the grass. The dispatcher told me I couldn't go until I spoke with the police.
At this point, and as you can see from the video, the telephone pole caught on fire. Sparks were flying and I was really afraid a wire would cut loose. Then, the SUV began smoking. The policeman used a fire extinguisher and then began breaking out windows. As I was speaking with the police, the man from the black car was loaded into the ambulance. They still hadn't gotten the person out of the SUV and I was afraid that driver may have been dead.
The next day, I say the on-line tv report of the accident. The driver, a woman, wasn't dead. No. She was DRUNK at 8:15 in the morning, with 2 open whiskey bottles in her car. A friend wondered why she had 2. Obviously one for each hand because clearly she wasn't using them to steer her car.
I was really shaken up, but headed to work like the good little do-bee I am. The other driver was taken to Hershey Med and I hope he's okay.
1 comment:
Thank God for that car in front of you. I feel awful that he was injured, but I would have felt a lot worse if it had been you instead.
Post a Comment